Monday, December 10, 2007

WHATSIT- a poem about which I have nothing to say.

WHATSIT
I was once a child, running screaming throught the night.
With a tattered, holey dress and a dirt-streaked face, I was the one no one wanted.
I caused other children to scurry aaway in alarm, my fearsome mannerisms scaring the bravest of my peers.
I was alone and unwanted, but I wasn't lonely.
No matter what happened, no matter where I went, the Whatsits would find me and put me at ease.
They soothed my tears, quieted my screams.
They'd become a giant pair of arms, holding me close.
The Whatsits were intangible, yet real.
They had no true form, but I could hold them in my hands, nuzzle one with my cheek.
My Whatsits would never abandon me.
Then the years started passing, and I started growing up.
I stopped running, stopped screaming.
I traded my dress for faded jeans, cleaned my face, and smiled.
Slowly, others came to notice, even appreciate my presence.
I was no longer alone, and yet the Whatsits still stayed by my side, no matter what.
I loved them, and they loved me.
And then, all at once, they were gone.
My Whatsits vanished, and He appeared.
He was the missing half of my soul, the one I'd always been searching for.
He had large, warm, comforting arms, the same arms I'd known all my life, and when He held me, I knew that I'd never been alone, would never be alone again, because He had been with me all along, and with me He would stay.
My lovely, warm, wonderful Whatsit boy.

No comments: